Forum

Forum » Help

banner making help

1. Eric The Animal @ 15 Sep 2013 01:25:38 PM
    can anyone tell me what the best was is to cut out an image to use without it being all pixely and not smooth?
  2. ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ™ @ 16 Sep 2013 02:02:06 AM
    I tried to message you when you asked me your mailbox was full. Clean it out and send me a hand written letter again. Thanks :fistpump:
  3. [T~K] Sheriff Lansky @ 16 Sep 2013 12:31:03 PM
    What program are you using to make cut the images.
  4. [T~K] Sheriff Lansky @ 16 Sep 2013 12:33:02 PM
    Ignore the word "make." I forgot to take it out after deleting my original thought.
  5. ‹«Altaïr»› @ 16 Sep 2013 06:02:33 PM
    :haha:

just edit it out, all powerful sheriff. or are you being too lazy right now?

he'll fix it later.
  6. Yellow Beard @ 16 Sep 2013 07:00:43 PM
    If you are using photoshop just use the magnetic cut tool, works perfectly.
  7. [L~W] Biebsauce @ 16 Sep 2013 11:35:57 PM
    Do not, I repeat, do not ever use the selection tool, the magic wand, the eraser tool or anything else anyone will try to suggest to you. It's beyond retarded and does not work (well). It will leave plenty of rough edges and pixels with those methods.

Professional graphic artists use the pen tool to extract selections from images. This is because the pen tool uses vector mathematics for manipulation instead of raw pixel manipulation. This is the most complex way to do it but your renders will be absolutely gorgeous if done right.

I have submitted many renders to PlanetRenders.net in the past with the pen tool. Never less than 4 star rating.

I personally think this guy is a giant tool and his explanation is extremely sub par, but you should get the jest of it from this. I don't feel like finding a good one.

And here are my credentials: (Rendered by yours truly)

8. [L~W] Biebsauce @ 16 Sep 2013 11:36:57 PM
    Also http://www.pixel2life.com, you're welcome.
  9. Yellow Beard @ 17 Sep 2013 02:32:07 AM
    Dunno I've done some pretty professional stuff using the magnetic lasso.....
  10. [L~W] Biebsauce @ 17 Sep 2013 02:55:35 PM
    The magnetic lasso works well if you have distinct colors. I can show you plenty of images where the magnetic lasso will derp so hard. It uses a base of color tolerance when selecting pixels, this level of tolerance allows it to make many mistakes when trying to extract complex or similar colored objects.

If your image is someone standing in front of a green screen then yeah, definitely use the magnetic lasso tool. If you're cutting a ninja out of a shadowy corner you'll more than likely experience some difficulty.
  11. ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ™ @ 18 Sep 2013 02:22:46 AM
    Its true, using the lasso is retarded sometimes especially with dark grays and black. I personally use the eraser 1px and zoom in but it takes a little longer, but I'm no professional.
  12. [L~W] Biebsauce @ 18 Sep 2013 04:14:04 AM
    Mac, you should learn to use the pen tool. That spade you drew would look crisp as fuck if you drew it with the pen tool.
  13. [T~K] Sheriff Lansky @ 18 Sep 2013 11:46:45 AM
    I start it out using the magic wand but very low power so it doesn't accidentally select my image. I get it as clean as possible before I zoom all the way in to do a fine tuneup with either a unique color (then use the magic wand to be able to only grab that color) or the straight up eraser.

14. [L~W] Garfield @ 18 Sep 2013 09:47:33 PM
    Definitely agree with biebsauce(lol). Pen tool is the best way to extract characters from an image. I use it all the time. :cool:

Magicwand can be used for certain pictures (distinctive colours) and also if the item being cut out plays a small part in the overall render. Just an opinion! :freeze:
  15. ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ™ @ 19 Sep 2013 02:40:21 AM
    Biebs good looking out on the tip because the pen tool works a lot better than what I was doing before.

Next up, I tried to save my picture with a transparent background but it kept saving it with a white line all around the picture, why is that?