Forum

Forum » General Chat

This should be good.....

1. [BDU] @ 17 Jun 2018 01:00:11 PM
    By football football you mean American football which everyone outside the US calls American football.
    The trend is that whichever form of football is more popular in a country is called 'football' there. In most countries that is football in its spherical form.

Football is football, football
    https://youtu.be/MusyO7J2inM

Not that you would care, being a fish. :shifty:
  2. ~ Fish ~ @ 17 Jun 2018 01:10:14 PM
    I play water polo :brainwash:
  3. ~ Fish ~ @ 17 Jun 2018 01:13:58 PM
    Paintball is Paintball... except there is Speedball, Airball, Bushball, X-Ball, etc.... we don't call it "speedball paintball" it's just "speedball" because of the style, field, and format.

If you say football meaning soccer football, it is the same as saying paintball. Could mean anything.

My goal is clarification and consensus. :shifty: and maybe stirring the pot.... :evil:
  4. X @ 17 Jun 2018 03:45:04 PM
    tbh i agree with wommie :fistpump:
  5. [Que] Bunnehsaur @ 17 Jun 2018 03:55:46 PM
    Speedball is the only way to play paintball. Airball is Speedball, but it's restrictive to air inflatable bunkers on the field. X-Ball is just a tournament rule set really, and I've never heard of bushball but that probably refers to what we call woodsball around here.

The only real categories of paintball you have are:
    -Speedball
    -Woodsball
    -Scenarioball

The rest are just sub categories of those major categories. Paintball definitely isn't the sport to compare it to though, seeing as the industry is far from standardized and there really are no organizations that dominate the market such as the NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB in America. Each organization in paintball has some pretty different regulations, so what we end up calling the "Official" speedball category really depends on which organization comes up on top in 10 to 20 years.
  6. [BDU] Viper @ 17 Jun 2018 03:58:14 PM
    i will be the lone dissenter then

soccer is hella lame

though real football isnt much better
  7. ~ Fish ~ @ 17 Jun 2018 04:00:50 PM
    Bunneh, i hate to say it, but you're right.

I should have compared airsoft, reball, and paintball. Shooting sports. We couldn't call them all "shootball" though :facepalm:
  8. [Que] Bunnehsaur @ 17 Jun 2018 04:03:50 PM
    That's why ESPN is great. Watch the highlights and when your coworkers talk about the game, you act like you watched it and then they accept you into the herd. Repeat a few things said by some ESPN sportscaster and voila, the guys will be asking if you want in on their fantasy football league! Perfect, now you just have to go read some blogs about best picks for fantasy football in 2018. A few hours later, you have your information so you can continue the facade with your coworkers.

A few months later, football season is over. You're excited because you've been following ESPN and fantasy football blogs for months now, trying to make it seem like you're a Football guy. The only problem is, before Football season ended your coworkers started up another fantasy league for Basketball season... Then it starts all over...

Climbing the corporate ladder is hard work!
  9. ~ Fish ~ @ 17 Jun 2018 04:14:54 PM
    :haha: i think you nailed it there

it's hard finding a parallel for the clusterfuckery of the soccer/football debate, but I'm doing my best :haha:

Maybe a spreadsheet would help people digest the problem :shifty: